Micro Sensor 1.8™
The Millimeter-Sized Sensor for High Precision Tracking
The Micro Sensor 1.8™ is one of the latest breakthroughs from Polhemus, the leaders in motion measurement innovation. This 6DOF (6 Degree-Of-Freedom) micro sensor tracking element utilizes Polhemus proprietary AC electromagnetic technology, weighs in at less than a gram, and measures only 1.8 millimeters in OD (outer diameter). Micro Sensor 1.8 comes in Standard and Flex models, for a less rigid cable option. Shown above on left, Micro Sensor 1.8 Flex is attached with optional custom Micro Mounts, allowing the sensor to slide through easily and keep sensors in place; on right, Micro Sensor 1.8 shown in hand.
Small and lightweight, it packs an enormous amount of capability into its small size and provides both position and orientation data, at speeds up to 240 Hz (frames of data per second).
Like all Polhemus tracking technology, the new Micro Sensor 1.8 requires no line-of-sight to continuously track its position and orientation. Better still, Polhemus sensors are completely embeddable into a variety of custom form factors, ideal for fitting inside a traditional catheter, a head-worn device, such as an HMD, simulated medical tools, or even slipped under gloves or clothing. This makes the Micro Sensor 1.8 an ideal tracking solution for applications requiring not only high-fidelity precision tracking, but also small-scale sensor size.
- See Micro Sensor in action: Micro Sensor Videos
- How's it work? Learn about our proprietary AC Electromagnetics
- Get the Micro Sensor Brochure
- Get the All Sensors Brochure
Polhemus technology has been used in the healthcare market for years, including healthcare simulation and real-world applications such as enabling image guided surgery. The Micro Sensor 1.8 adds new capability and value to healthcare and other important markets.
Polhemus AC electromagnetic technology allows for multiple tuned magnetic tracking sources which enables you to run independent tracking systems right beside each other without concern for magnetic overlap (cross talk). Learn more about the Polhemus tracking systems compatible with Micro Sensor 1.8:
Above: Micro Sensor 1.8 inserted in catheter tubing and embedded in 3D heart model, finger and hand tracking with multiple sensors, using the Polhemus Micro Mounts Kit
- Full 6DOF motion tracking (measures both position and orientation)
- 1.8 millimeter OD (Outer Diameter)
- Embeddable, no line-of-sight required
- Highly precise and accurate
- Lightweight, sensor head weighs less than a gram
- Update rates as high as 240 Hz
- Track up to 16 sensors simultaneously, per system
- Healthcare simulation (watch the video)
- 6DOF hand and finger tracking (watch the video)
- Head tracking (watch the video)
- Catheter applications (watch the video)
- Image guided surgical simulations/procedures
- Limb tracking (biomechanics)
- Research studies
For a PDF of the Micro Sensor brochure with full product specifications, click here.
For a PDF of the All Sensor Options brochure, click here.